Feb 2, 2012

Everneath by Brodi Ashton Review

Everneath
Author: Brodi Ashton
Pages: 370
Rating: 4/5

     Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.                                 
     She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.                                                                               
     Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

     Everneath is author Brodi Ashton's debut book, it is the first instalment in a trilogy. I have to start off by saying that this was a surprising read- and when I say that, I mean it was very unique to me. Everneath is about a girl named Nikki that willing goes into the the underworld when she has a falling out with her boyfriend Jack. In the underworld Nikki spends a century together with Cole, while desperately trying to cling to the only memory she has of the normal world- Jack's face. When Nikki returns, 6 months have passed in the real world and Nikki is left with 6 months to say her "goodbyes." Everneath's "supernatural" feature centers around the story of Gods, such as the Daughters of Persephone.

What I loved...

     Novels, for the most part, tell a story chronologically with each event occurring one after the other. But does Everneath follow this pattern? Nope! Instead, we read the story through moments in the past and present. I loved this writing style- it gives you such a better way of looking at how much Nikki has changed. The way she thinks, the opinions she has on people, and the glimpses we get into her past relationship with Jack just allow you to connect with Nikki more.

     The love triangle in this book was good too- it's one of the few love triangles that leaves myself indecisive. There's Jack- the handsome and good boyfriend that Nikki loves. And Cole, the mysterious, dark, alluring boy Nikki has spent a century with. Both have great moments with Nikki- which makes me angry because now I can't make a decision. Curse you charming boys! Curse you!

What I didn't like.......

     I like to think of this as more of a complaint, and not an actual hate- if you get what I mean. Personally, I wish we could have seen more moments between Cole and Nikki, specifically more past moments that they shared in the century they were "stuck" together. While reading, you can see that there is definitely something between these two, something that Nikki seems to want to forget. Hopefully in the upcoming books we'll read more about their history.

The Cover.....

     Ahhhh the cover, what a beautiful cover it is! I don't know what it is about this cover but it grabs my attention every single time. I really love how they show Nikki in the light being taken in by the darkness- it totally describes the theme of the book. Two thumbs up!

Favorite Quotes...

If you stand off to the side, all mopey and such, without a date, you’ll stick out like a nun at a strip club.
-Cole

"He leaned forward and said, "Tell me, friend. Is there more for us?"
I looked down at my feet. "There's everything for us.” 
-Jack and Nikki

I was in the neighborhood," he said, answering the question I was about to ask. His lips twitched.
"You know, wandering around, trying to be a hero.
-Cole

Overall...

     Everneath was a very good start to a trilogy- I'm looking forward to reading what happens to these characters as we move forward. Everneath receives my bookworm rating of 4/5! Be sure to check out the book trailer below and leave me your thoughts on the book. Keep Reading!

Your YA Bookworm,
Caitlin <3


Check out Everneath at Amazon:

2 comments:

  1. I liked the first quote from Cole "a nun in a strip club." That is funny.

    It's too bad that there isn't a lot of moments discussed about what happened between Cole and Nikki in the Underworld. Hopefully, the second book shows more of their relationship. I'm still going to pick up the book though. It does sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really hope the second book goes into further detail- hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...